Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Date to Remember


I didnt know until moving to Pennsylvania how much I would enjoy the rich history out here. Or how connected I was to to it through my heritage. I had heard about the Battle of Gettysburg in American History class. It was the deadliest battle on American Soil. What I didnt know is how Gettysburg would find a place in my heart. I really love going there. Its beautiful, especially in early spring. It is a quaint little town with a soul that you feel. The battlefields are vast and the cemetery is overwhelming. I feel such a sense of gratitude for the people who died fighting for what they believed was right. Of course I find myself morally aligned with the Union army. I too believe in FREEDOM for all men, black and white. The civil war has many sides and interesting arguments. I believe that Heavenly Father opened the door for freedom in the United States for all men. I believe Abraham Lincoln was inspired to abolish slavery, and I know many people died with a prayer in their hearts that all men would live in peace..together..united.
I live around 35 miles north east of it. I have been their many times now. July 1st marks the day that the first shot of the Battle was fired. It lasted 3 days. In the end between 46,000 and 51,000 Americans were casualties. That November President Lincoln used the dedication ceremony for the Gettysburg National Cemetery to honor the Union dead and redefine the purpose of the war in his historic Gettysburg Address.

One of my relatives Joshua Chamberlain became the "hero of Gettysburg" when he and his regiment, the 20th Maine, bravely held Little Round Top against determined Rebel assault. He eventually went back to Maine after the war and was Governor for 4, 1 year terms. From everything I have read about this man, I feel privilege to be his descendant. July 1st is a date I remember. Its a battle in history, we should never forget. Here's to FREEDOM!

Here is a pic of little round top.

No comments: