Saturday, July 26, 2008

The hand that Rocks the Cradle, Rules the World.

This months Ensign article for R.S. is by Elder Ballard, Daughters of God. Reading it I am reminded of my current job as mother, and other jobs I have had in life. Here are a few of the interesting ones.

Famous Greek Salads-I was the evening manager and I loved it. It was my first job at 16. I even got my brother, boyfriend and best friend to come and work there as well. It was a fun job, especially when my brother and I lured a duck into the kitchen with bread crumbs. Only to have it freak out and fly into the dinning room, while there were customers eating. Or having Taylor hide in a large barrel that the Greek peppers were shipped in and waiting for a victim to come and get some. "SURPRISE"! Oh yes, and I cannot forget crazy Brian the Jehovah's Witness that would sing made up Greek songs and would apologize to the shrimp for cutting their spines out. Great first job!
3. House Singer @ Macaroni Grill- I did this at two different locations, Florida and Provo. It was a great job and easy. I would walk around the restaurant and sing Italian arias to people. The tips were good. On weekends, I would spotlight AVA MARIA in the middle of the dinner run. It made for fun memories.
2.Tan girl...Nothing like wiping up the sweat from people's bums after they tan!Need I say more?
3. Lectric Lights- I worked at this lovely job in Texas. I worked as a shoring rental supervisor. Basically, the company I worked for rented out shoring equipment for construction projects for TDOT. Hydraulic Shores are used to hold up the walls of dirt in a hole dug below 4 feet. That way if there is a collapse, you wont get buried in dirt. I was OSHA certified for this, believe it or not. Pretty random...and the customers loved me. I got a marriage proposal nearly everyday. Most of the time in Spanish.
3. Dental Assistant- I did this for a cumulative period of 3 years. I worked for two different dentists.One in Utah and one in Alpharetta Ga. Dr. Parsa was an amazing man. He escaped Iran's political tyranny in the 80's and came to America. He speaks Farsi and taught me some interesting phrases! None that I can share with you...or spell for that matter.
4. Nanny- I loved this job. But being the eldest of 10 kids, I was use to it.
5. Gas Attendant- (stop laughing now) I worked at a gas station (VIP) my senior year of high school, and in college I worked at WILL'S PIT STOP in Provo. I even got to see some celebrities on occasion (the Osmond's lived up the hill)working there.
6. Retail Dept @ Provo Craft- ok job, the discount was nice
7. Mr. Rags, Retail sales- Met some of the greatest people working there (Sara, Jodi, Jenny, Leigh, Jill) but also some of my dorkiest boyfriends!Another story for another day.

8.Mom- Ok this is the job that I dont get paid for but is the hardest of them all. Its also the most rewarding and fun. I love my kids and husband. I just hate cleaning up all their toys, food and pee....yes,I said pee! Toilets were not part of my job description..were they? Anyway...I've been MOMMY for 3 1/2 years now and I still like waking up to my responsibilities, most days. Mom's Rock! Thanks Elder Ballard, I loved this talk!

2 comments:

Hannah and Mike said...

Amen to that. It is about time one of the men actually says some of the things we have been thinking forever. Being a mom of one toddler is tough enough, let alone more than one. I was happy to hear him say we need to be cut some slack right now because we're already doing a lot.

Cole Chamberlain said...

How much would you be willing to pay for a mechanical device that cleans up toys or cleans around the toilet base? If your interested let me know!!!

Cole