Thursday, April 2, 2009

On my brain today..3 random thoughts.

Ive had a couple of thoughts consuming my brain lately.
First, at the ripe old age of 30, reality is flowing into my life. Like Sick and Wrong go with Richard Simmons , maybe 30 and afflictions are interconnected as well? Im sure it happens at any age, but I am just now getting bombarded with bad news and heart-wrenching stories from friends and acquaintances. Foreclosures, divorce, health concerns and deaths. In the past month I have had a dear friend die of accidental prescription drug overdose. One friend who's sweet husband was diagnosed with a brain tumor. One lose a baby at 39 weeks. One have a complete hysterectomy at 28 yrs old. Several in the middle of divorces. And several whom are unemployed or in foreclosure.
My heart just aches for everyone. Its truly what they say "every ones boo-boo hurts" and no one is trial free. I feel extremely grateful to be where I am in life. Even with life's trials and hardships, I am grateful. Life isnt always as happy and fun as our blogs make them out to be. People struggle with many things. I struggle with many things. Thats life, but it doesn't make it less sad to watch people go through hard things.

It brings me to my next random thought connected with health. What is it with all this infertility? Its so strange. Im not sure if I was too young to really grasp the concept when I was a kid, or if no one talked about infertility. Its only been the past 10 years that I have heard much about it. Once I dealt with it myself, I was shocked to hear the stats. Why are so many women struggling with infertility? Why is it skyrocketing? Doesn't it make you wonder if its something in our society that is creating this problem? Yes, STD's and physical trauma (past abortions, scarring from surgeries, past chemotherapy) are adding to the problem. But what about something we ingest or use daily?- There was a interesting study going on at the clinic I used for In-vitro with the twins in Utah. The hypothesis was that artificial sweeteners and preservative used in foods, were causing fertility issues. Isn't that scary?
I dont know that it is legitimate but I for one, worked at gas stations for years and drank at least 32 oz Crystal Light a day. Hum..Maybe they are onto something? I just cant believe how many people are dealing with this issue. Its not something I would wish on my worst enemy.

And lastly, why do people who are not LDS think LDS people are missing out on life by being members of our church? (I realize I have many non LDS family and friends who read this blog. But it is my blog so dont be offended. This isnt a bash on non-LDS people, just the ridiculous nature of such an argument)
An acquaintance asked about all the viewed "restrictions" the church has on its members and said " If you died today and found out that your religion was all a lie, would you be mad?" The answer was given "No, because I know its true, so that wont happen." Im sure she just thought the answer was trite and a self-assured delusion.
My REAL response was not given, only to spare possible hurt feelings or finger pointing. Seriously, what is it I am missing out on?
I had a whole list. But, I thought I'd just leave this question hypothetical.
I know Im not missing out on anything good. I just cant believe what kind of things non LDS people seem to think are important to have a good life (ie: alcohol & drugs,promiscuity, no responsibilties). To me, its very odd that thats all they can think of.

4 comments:

Hansen Family said...

Eden sorry about all the horrible things your friends are going through! It is sad though I have never had a problem with not having a baby I have heard more about it since we have moved here. And I want to state my opinion about what are we missing A big fat NOTHING!! I was inactive for some years after highschool. And I did a few not so good things nothing to the extreme but I felt lost and sad alot. And I knew what I was missing it was the church and my personnal worth. I hope this makes since:) Hope everything gets better with your friends!!!

Mariangel Babbel said...

Read "Welcome to Holland."

http://www.livingwithtrisomy13.org/inspirations.htm

There are tulips in Holland... :)

Holbrook's said...

Amen, sister...amen.

Nancy said...

Eden, you're wonderful. Thanks for sharing your thought provoking thoughts.

As far as artificial sweetener goes, my mom has been an active opponent since forever. Her kids, as a result, have developed absolute hatred of that fakey-fake flavor. Scary if it does all that damage, though!