Monday, February 2, 2009

They came 2x2

My little boys turn 4 today!! I am so grateful for them. Even though at times, they stress me like non other with their tantrums and fighting. Since I use my blog as a journal, I'll write about their birth. Thus is the birthday story tradition, right? After a few years of marriage and no children, I was diagnosed with Stage 4 (most severe)endometriosis. Since the disease is progressive, they advised me to not wait to seek treatment if I wanted a family. Surgery proved to be futile, as my fallopian tubes were completely blocked and my ovaries had been trapped in the wrong place by adhesion's.In-vitro fertilization was our only choice. We held our breath and jumped, by faith, into the process. We spent every dime of our savings on the procedure. We were blessed after our first try and found out at 6 weeks, that there were two babies. At 27 weeks, I went into early labor. I was placed on bed rest for 5 weeks. At 32 weeks, the meds just weren't working to calm my contractions and I had the boys at LDS hospital 8 weeks early. Both babies were able to breath on their own (Zach was 3#6oz and Tanner was 3#12oz) and never went on ventilators ,such a blessing. The NICU is a rollercoster. Its 2 steps forward, 1 step back. I never knew from day to day who was gaining weight or learning to suck.It was a nightmare. I will say that the hospital was wonderful and I loved and trusted the nurses which made it bearable. I drove from our tiny apt in Midvale to the hospital everyday for 7.2 weeks. I would be there from 10-6. Then Mike, after finishing classes in grad school would swing down to the hospital and take the evening shift. Feeding, changing and holding the boys. Tanner was the first to come home. Zachary endured 3 blood transfusions before getting strong enough to eat and grow. He came home a week after Tanner. That was the hardest week of my life. Having one baby home, and one at the hospital. I felt awful leaving either of them alone. I hated leaving Tanner while I was at the hospital. I cried every night at home leaving Zachary behind while Tanner had mommy at night. I cannot tell you the relief I felt to have them both with me, without IV's or monitors ringing.
It was a journey, but I am grateful for it. It has strengthen my faith and my gratitude for all things heavenly.The boys have been healthy ever since leaving the hospital. And despite their prematurity, have been in or above the 70 percentile in height/weight since birth (Tanner has never been below the 80th). Mike and I knew the road would be hard with no savings, fellowships that made no money, crappy apartments and 3 moves in 4 years, but it was worth it to have our little boys. We love you Zach and Tanner. We would do it all again to have you with us.

please ignore my baby talk in the videos...I know its annoying

2 comments:

texaswilliams said...

Eden,
I watched this and cried!!! What darling boys. I can't believe that they are 4!! I love your family so much. Your Mom is like a sister to me. I miss all of you!!
Stacey

Nate and Jen Poulson said...

Love those boys and are so happy they came to you guys. You are such great parents to them! I know I wouldn't be a good multiples mom.
Love you Zach and Tanner! Especially Liam.