Saturday, February 21, 2009


I just turned 30 and have just seen GONE WITH THE WIND in its entirety. Now I am sure some of you are thinking, "so what?". Well, I am feeling a little strange about the whole thing. While I admit, the history buff in me loved certain parts of this film, the other part of me was quietly thinking, "Man, I am such a Scarlett O'hara sometimes". It left me confused and wondering why I haven't watched it before now.
1)Who has the time to watch this epic movie? It was 4 hrs long.
2) Why didnt I want to see Scarlett slap so many people. The sister slapping scenes were my favorite. Had I known there was so much slapping, I would have seen it years ago.
3) Clark Gable was dreamy..I found him strangely attractive. Which is weird & wrong because if you are ever in the Law building on BYU campus, and look at my dads picture hanging in the hallway, they are very similar...I may ask Mike to grow that mustache,it would be " oh so sexy".
4) Can war be anymore depressing? The civil war is even more sad to me living so close to Gettysburg, knowing what happened there. The Alabama monument at Gettysburg happens to be one of my favorites(the movie is centered on the O'haras plantation in Alabama. The Alabamians were some of the largest causalities in the battle at Gettysburg).
5) I loved Mammy's character, and her red petticoat. So funny!
6) How depressing is it that Scarlett is so darn stubborn!Ultimately she gains money but never gains happiness. What a downer. She ends right where she started. I hope Im not really a Scarlett O'hara.

I must say, for a classic. I liked it. It took me long enough to see it. Im sure my husband will read this and think Im crazy for wasting so much time (heck you gotta watch something while folding laundry right?). To that I say, as the famous line goes "frankly my dear, I dont give a damn!"

3 comments:

Amy said...

Eden, you are so funny, creative, and smart. Your blog is one of my favorites! Frankly dear I do give a damn about your blog!!!

Hannah and Mike said...

I still haven't ever watched the whole movie either. I suppose I really should put it on my list because is such a classic and always makes the greatest films ever lists.

Whidget said...

I love the movie, own it and watch it as often as I can! Who doesn't have that kind of time. I feel a little bad that it's kind of racist... but I try to put that down to it being old and look past it. I do love it though--the ball gowns and frippery! LOVELY! And I LOVE Scarlett!! She's so honest! And for the most part, I think most of us wind up right where we started at the end of life. Obviously we hope to improve, but I don't think we generally do...

Bridget