Thursday, April 8, 2010

Old Man River


Can you believe that we have hit 90 degrees two days in a row?
We broke a record set back in the 1920's with this crazy hot weather. We cant skip spring and dive right into the summer heat. I need the middle temps before the hot weather comes rushing in. Spring is my favorite part of Pennsylvania. Its like a postcard here in the spring. Everything is green, lively, reanimated.

It was so hot Monday, we decided to head to the Susquehanna River banks (this is the river Joseph Smith was baptised in, and the Aaronic priesthood was restored on its banks as well) for the breeze and some sightseeing.

If you have never been to Harrisburg PA (the capital of Pennsylvania) you arent missing much. To be honest, Im not sure I knew what the capital was until we moved here. I think I thought it was Philadelphia or Pittsburgh. They are much bigger and more metropolitan.
Harrisburg is an interesting city. Not much to look at. Industrial. Lots of trains. A little scary during the day, VERY scary during the night. They have lots of shootings and crime. There is a sort of "Meet me in St. Louis" feeling along the mansions of the riverbank. Its not bad for a stroll or run during the day.

Im a little embarrassed to admit that I have only visited the river once in the 3 1/2 years that we have lived here. Today was my second visit. The day was hot and the kids were restless. We all walked over the bridge from City Island to the "east shore" as they call it. This is where the hospital is that Asher was born at.
I remember looking out my postpartum room window down at the river immediately after he was born. I remember thinking how peaceful the river was. This was the first time I have been back to the hospital since his birth.
It was somewhat symbolic in a way. The first time I was at the hospital I was delivering him. Fresh, new, tiny little babe in my arms. This time we crossed the bridge and I looked at him, now almost two years old. Sweet, smart, walking, talking thriving, but changed. The metamorphosis of life...the bridges we all cross on our way to growing up. Baby, toddler, child, teen, adult, middle aged, senior.
Bridges we are all crossing, even now.- It was a hot gorgeous day and the words of the song "Old man River" came flooding to my mind
Ol' man river,
Dat ol' man river
He mus'know sumpin'
But don't say nuthin',
He jes'keeps rollin'
He keeps on rollin' along.

Another day on my way. One more bridge I've crossed.
Its nice to have a hand to hold when traveling. It means something when you look back and see your little ones crossing with you. Crossing together.
It feels like life is rolling along, and it should.






No comments: