Tuesday, March 3, 2009

R U 4 REL?

***This will bore most of you, you may skip reading it. Just some thoughts I needed to blog***

Im from a family of "word people". My mother is a speech pathologist. My father is a English major (attorney, debater, orator, and philosopher). Words are thought highly meaningful and formidable in our home. I grew up in a home of expression and articulated speech. Much to my dismay, my rose colored glasses have been broken regarding the English language, especially today's vernacular in America. While our generation has made progress in nearly every arena, we have digressed in our vocabulary. Words have lost all meaning. We have resorted to replacing beautiful descriptive language with generalizations and slang. Speech shortcuts that remove all sentiment or impact.
What is going on with everyone talking like they are texting? Why is it that people dont speak when spoken to? One word answers are the status quo, and most people dont have a clue how to have a conversation that feels comfortable or flows? Its like we have been stupefied by technology.
My brother Noah, who is on a mission in Japan, recently told us about the Japanese people. He said that they have become a people of strange mannerisms, strained relationships, and communicative recluses when face to face with a live body. As he put it "technology has made them socially retarded. They can only express themselves behind a keyboard".
I want to revive this lost art of speech. Beginning in my own home, by using more vocabulary as my children get older. This is such a disappointing phenomena in this century. Worsening by the day with texting, email and computers.

I do say things to my husband like "Even after 7 years of marriage, I grow in love for you". But what I really want to say is:
"...and with an indescribable pleasure I have seen near a score of years roll over our Heads, with an affection heightened and improved by time"-
(This an excerpt of a letter written by Abigail Adams to her husband. I am nearly finished with a book on John Adams, which I shall be reviewing on my blog shortly.)
Honestly, do we really need people to revise the bible into todays speech. I mean lets get real here. I read through one of these so called "FOR TODAY, BIBLES". Everything had lost its meaning. The language had no meaning or symbolism. It was so sad to me.
I just need to figure out how to make a wide vocablulary something of importance. Random I know, but I figure there could be worse things I was hoping to bring back (I wont even beging this list).

Alas, I am but who I am...child of the 80's, an heir of technology, daughter of a Chamberlain.

-Eden

4 comments:

Maleah said...

Amen to this post!!! I think another huge skill we have lost in this technology age is the ability to listen. Most communication is virtual these days and requires no auditory practice or comprehension. Music is mind-numbing in most cases and not thought provoking. Emails and texts can be responded to on a whim without any emotion. So, when the reality of having to listen and discern comes, most people I have found are lacking in capacity. Preach My Gospel teaches some essential communication skills, especially on listening. Check it out and practice the listening skill. I was amazed at how bad I was and am trying to practice much more! The world is very different when you learn to listen to what people are really saying! The spirit can help you know how to lift, encourage, and act as you listen to people!

Another daughter of a Chamberlain!

Whidget said...

I started that book a while back and haven't finished it yet--it's fun to read!! But it's kind of slow going... I thought.

bridget

Nikki Painter said...

along with those lines, my girl's were just asking when is the last time we received a hand written letter in the mail?? We correspond this way with Chris' grandmother and a few others. I agree with you, though you may have put it much more eloquently than I.

Nancy said...

Love hearing your thoughts. This was always the debate in my English language classes: do we bemoan the "losses" in the rising generation's language, or do we accept it as part of the way language naturally changes? Reading helps, I think. We'll turn out some well-spoken little people yet!