Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Life is a Dance...enjoy it, even if you look stupid.

Things have been wonderfully busy this past week. I must admit, my favorite thing about living outside of Utah is the responsibility that falls to members to actively contribute to the ward. There is a level of complacency that befalls some people who live amongst the masses. I am not saying Utah is a bad place to live, just that we became viewers of the work, rather than actively involved. I guess I had the attitude that there are a million people in the ward who can do it. So many people who are more talented, more who are less busy, more who want that job. So, I was ok to just let others do it and sit back and watch. We have really enjoyed staying busy with church stuff while we have been here. I have been on the Enrichment committee for over 14 mths. I just got called to be a co-chair for the Ward Activities. And recently was given the assignment of directing the ward Roadshow. I feel really blessed to have such willing ward members and good friends to help me with my tasks. I would never campaign for calling, but I dont mind staying involved. I really enjoy all the relationships and lessons I have learned from serving and participating.
I've chosen Step In Time from Mary Poppins as our Broadway number. I hope it will all turn out. I've got some very creative people who are helping me get it on its feet. I think the youth will really enjoy it. As most things Broadway, its had a little drama already, my original plans were initially accepted and the rejected by outside parties.Its nothing that will crush my spirits, just one of the trials of being a first time director, I guess. Our roadshow is done in 24 hrs, so I can plan things, gather things/props, materials. I just cant make anything or teach choreography/music until 24 hrs before we preform. It should be interesting!

My other time taker this past month has been ZUMBA. Have you ever heard of such a thing? Honestly, I hadnt initially. I just went to a class at the gym one night and was hooked. I try to go as much as possible. Im even trying to get certified to teach.
I really just wanted to get some cardio from something other than the treadmill. I was getting a little bored.I walked in and was in Heaven, its totally me! Im sure some people will not like that I have "junk in my trunk" and still think I can teach a cardio class. Especially since the instructor right now is a stick (but I love her!). In some ways, that is the beauty of Zumba. All different body types, all moving in their own way. Its awesome and so fun. We'll see how it goes. The certification isnt until June. In the meantime, Im at the gym 4-5 days a wk. Poor Mike is sick of making the kids meals, but bless his heart, he wants me to feel good so he deals with it. There is a woman who is in her late 60's, she is always talking to me at class. She loves coming because she says it makes her feel sexy...how's that for an endorsement.Seriously, try it if you have access to it at your gym!
I guess both these thoughts are connected in theory. Church activity, getting invovled, trying new things, living life to the fullest, taking risks. Its the age old euphemism " I hope you dance"!

Since I like having something visual with my posts, here is what ZUMBA looks like.

3 comments:

Amber said...

You are gorgeous and I don't know what "junk in the trunk" you are talking about! I think you would make a fabulous instructor. My mom taught aerobics for 18 years and she is definitely not the skinniest person around - and I think people liked that because she was more real. Anyway - I have yet to try Zumba, but as soon as I get back into the gym in a couple months I will totally be there! Also, let me know if you need any help with the roadshow!

Hannah and Mike said...

The zumba looks fun, that is the trick with getting a regular workout, it needs to be fun. Also, I mostly agree with your statement of how many wards in Utah function, I wish we lived in one.
Doing the roadshow is right up your alley, you started direction young, remember the Good ship Lollipop number?

amy said...

Eden is that you in the hot pink outfit?!!! Work it girl, it looks like what I do in front of the tv to Ellen each day, but only for my 4 and 1 year old and with plenty of junk in my trunk!!!