Thursday, March 5, 2009

RESOLVED:

My new years goal again this year was to read 2 books a month. Though this book took me nearly 6 weeks to read, it was worth it.
I have finally completed reading JOHN ADAMS by DAVID MCCULLOUGH.
What a fantastic book! I loved every second of it.
There were a so many moments and insights that brought out a range of emotions in me.
A funny story that made me laugh was about Benjamin Franklin and John Adams.Traveling to Staten Island for a meeting with the British Lord Howe (who would try to talk them out of seperating from Britian and resolve the looming war),they stayed overnight at an inn. The inn was full, so both men were made to share a room and a bed.Both men were rather fat, which as you can imagine made me laugh at loud at the thought of two fat dudes in a bed together.
So here they are, climbing into bed, when Franklin sees that due to Adams size, the only small window to the room will be blocked. Franklin freaked out stating that they would both suffocate.He reminded Adams about his belief in the benefits of fresh air, which was contrary to common thought at the time.. He demanded that Adams change him positions in the bed. He slept next to the open window and retold Adams all about his health theories, which he had in fact already published. Adams had already read the publication, but listened politely afraid that he would awake sick or croupy in the morning. He fell asleep during the lecture but awoke feeling refreshed and relieved.

I was moved at a story about Adams meeting with the King of England, post war. Adams, was appointed minister from the US to the Kings court. In his address to the king, Adams said: "I shall esteem myself the happiest of men if I can be instrumental in recommending my country more and more to your Majesty's royal benevolence, and of restoring and entire esteem, confidence , and affection or in better words, the old good nature and the old good humor between people who, though separated by an ocean and under different governments, have the same language, a similar religion, and kindred blood". They both were overcome with emotion. After all, the people (American and British), even though they were enemies in war and killed thousands of eachother, were still connected by blood & linegage. Can you imagine going to war with your kinsman? We have no idea what these people went through emotionally during the war both American and British. Both men spoke with quivering voices and much difficulty, holding back emotion as they now sat face to face as seperate countries. I can only imagine standing on the sidelines watching them. It fills my eyes with tears to think about it.

An issue that the book goes into that is fascinating, is the idea of equality.
Adams objected to the line in the Declaration that states that "all men are created equal". He didnt believe this and did not want it added. He believed all men were equal in the sight of God, but that men in fact were not created equal. This was not even a race issue, he didnt believe that God created his children all the same.
Very interesting thought... ( I will leave it at that as to not create controversy)

Adams, who is less iconic than his counterparts, Jefferson, Madison, or Washington, was an amazing man who we are all indebted to for the freedom we now enjoy. It was in large measure, due to his persistence, hard work and sacrifice.
I am watching the HBO version of this book (directed by Tom Hanks) this weekend. I am so excited to watch it. I have been waiting for months so I could read the book first. I watch the trailer and it gets me so excited!!!

Thank you Mr. Adams, I feel such gratitude for your life and lifes work...liberty.

1 comment:

Hannah and Mike said...

I think my mom was reading that book. You've convinced me to put it on my list. I need to read more things that are substantive instead of just entertaining.