Monday, December 15, 2008

Reasons I love Christmas: #2


The movie "A Christmas Story" has always been a favorite of mine. Its a tradition and I watch it a dozen times during the holidays. Mainly because it brings back fond family memories. The cussing scene always reminds me of a funny memory. You know, the scene where Ralphie drops the lug nuts into the snow and lets the bad word fly. This always reminds my of my favorite Christmas time memory. Although it may embarrass my mother. Im going to tell it anyway...

When I was 12 we were living in my grandparents house in Farmington Utah. They were on a mission and we were "taking care" of their home. My grandparents had a part of the kitchen that was a tight squeeze when you turned the corner, due to the stove edge on one side and the fridge on the other side. Now the trick was that the electricity flowing from each appliance created an open circuit. You had to be careful not to touch them at the same time or you would complete the circuit and shock the crap out of yourself. We all knew it, from several bad experiences as kids, and we would avoid it as much as possible. On occasion it was fun to have a neighbor kid jump start their heart a little but usually we were smart enough to turn sideways when walking through it.
My mom, who is a wonderful person and not partial to curse words (unless provoked) was coming a little too fast around the corner one morning. I remember that it was Christmas time because I can still remember the Christmas tree dimming a little as the electricity was pulled from the house into my mothers body. She whipped around the corner and grabbed the fridge and the stove at the same time. ZIP!!!! She was knocked to the ground in agony. All I saw was the slow motion of her falling, mouth gaping open, spit flying and the muffled words escaped her lips..."DAMN.....IT....!".
The room was silent. I was trying to hard not to laugh. She clearly was in pain, but I couldnt resist. She lifted her eyes to mine. Fire burn hot as the devils home. Glaring at me, see raised herself off the floor. Walked over to the sink and got herself a drink. If cartoon animation could be seen at this moment, you would have seen steam coming off the burning embers in her body, as she quenched it with her water. She clearly got a good jolt. Then she turned and a sneaky smile spread across her face. Feeling relief, the rest of the kids all started joining in laughter. Imagine 7 little kids laughing hysterically at you. My brother leans to me and says "Did she say a bad word?" and my other brother says "Yup, Dads gonna spank her bum".
It made an lasting impression on me, even now I still think it was funny as hell. Wait, it did leave an impression. I meant HECK.

No comments: