Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Cafe Rio & Creamies


This post is random, as many of my posts are. We are leaving in just 2 days to go to Utah to be with family. It has been 2 years since I have been to Utah. I spent many years living in there. I miss many things about it. But, recently I have only been thinking about two things, besides all the family I get to see. Cafe Rio, and Creamies.
Isn't it strange that I am thinking about food?! Not really when you realize that I am still trying to lose baby weight, and nursing every 2 hours. Dieting seems to make me think of food more than when I am not dieting!Such a catch 22.

I love Cafe Rio. I could seriously eat a salad or burrito there everyday. It has to be my favorite restaurant. Unfortunately, I have never found anything even close to as good. Even living in Texas I struggled to find something that I craved like the sweet pork at Cafe Rio. Pennsylvanians do not have good Mexican food. As a matter of fact, they eat very little Mexican out here. I think they believe Taco Bell is authentic Mexican cuisine. Not even close in my book. So, you can see why I would be dying to run out of the Salt Lake airport and haul over to Union Park for some Cafe Rio and some shopping.

And of course, CREAMIES. I craved Creamies my whole pregnancy and of course, you cannot get them here in PA. I love every flavor, but the dipped cherry with chocolate and banana are my favorites! Yes, I will be buying myself a box as soon as I can!
When I was a little girl, I used to love going to the now destroyed, Deseret Gym. It was a special treat when I could get there. Or ride the bus like a grown up to go all by myself. My favorite part of Deseret Gym was after swimming, going into the hallway where the vending machines were. They had an ice cream vending machine and guess what I always got...A CREAMIE! Ah, memories...
So, in light of my upcoming trip I will tell you my favorite places to eat in Utah:
1. Cafe Rio- yummy!
2. Asian Star- two words -Walnut Shrimp! -Thanks to uncle Darrell for introducing me!
3. Pace's Dairy Ann- in Bountiful, I ate here at lunch at least 2 a week in high school. Astro Pops, Rainbows and a CountryBoy. Oh My!
4. The Porcupine Grill- I lived in Midvale for 3 yrs and loved eating here on cold winter nights!
5. The Mandarin- Prom, Morp, every formal dance through my Utah life. Great food!
6. Deigos Taco Shop- 45 W 300 N, Provo- hole in the wall, great carne asada burritos!

Utah...here we come. And I am bring the next generation for some indoctrination!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Don't get me started on Utah food. That is all I think about (and not just because I'm pregnant:) Can you believe we can't get creamies here in AZ? I was really surprised. I hope you have a really good time in Utah!

Holbrook's said...

Ok I have to agree 100%. Last time we were out there I ate at "Rio" 3 times. There is also a new place with amazing fish tacos for really cheap. Syd took me. Missouri has really bad Mexican as well. It is texmex and I hate it. Totally different from the Mexican found on the west coast. It is the coastal/baja mexican food that I love and Rio has it! I too LOVE the sweet pork!!

Jodi said...

I know what you mean about missing cafe rio. I have been out of Utah for 4 months and have cravings every week! You need to try a pork roast in the crock pot with 2 cans of enchilada sauce and 2 cups of brown sugar. It almost tastes identical! We make it all the time to put on salads and burritos. Well I wish I was in utah becase I would have loved to see you and meet your beautiful boys.

Nate and Jen Poulson said...

I don't know if I mentioned this, but there is another Mexican place down the hill from Porcupine grill that is AWESOME!!! I trade between them and Cafe Rio.
It's called Lone star Taqueria
2265 Fort Union Blvd
Salt Lake City, UT 84121
Supposedly the fish tacos are the best, but I don't like fish. I actually love the summer salad with chicken, and the guac and chips are a must. I'll stop now. But go. you won't be dissapointed!!!