Saturday, May 3, 2008

What did you say?

So everyone always asks me...what does your husband do? I always laugh because I am not sure I am the best person to explain it but, I will try in my laymans way.
Mike is a neurophysiologist. Whats that?...well, neurophysiology according to the dictionary is:

the branch of physiology dealing with the functions of the nervous system. You would think that would explain it, but it doesn't. Mike assists surgeons with preventing paralysis and damage of the nerves during invasive surgery. He mainly does cases relating to the brain, neck, spine, & heart. It's a pretty new field and as such, many people, even medical personnel haven't heard of it.

Mike loves his job and enjoys working at the hospital . He gets to see alot of his friends from the ward (we love those residents and students!!!) and professional colleges, so it keeps him entertained.

I personally get a kick out of hearing about all neat things he gets to see. Brains, hearts, nerves, muscles, arteries, etc. I don't like blood and guts, but I do like hearing about the uses of modern medicine and technology. It is very fascinating.

Most importantly, I like when people tell me they saw my husband wearing his U of U scrub hat in surgery. That's the way to give them the ol' "Ute Battlecry"...good job babe!!! Way to represent!


.

No comments: