Thursday, January 14, 2010

Hymn Angels

Have you ever heard the hymn angels? I do, all the time. Isnt that odd? I swear I will be in the strangest places and hear the strangest things. I was standing in Manhattan over New Years, looking at time square, seeing all the people and the song
"Oh, If I were an Angel" came to my mind. If you aren't familiar with this song, its a song about preaching the gospel to all the world. Another moment, on the same trip to the city, I looked at the Statue of Liberty and heard the song "somewhere" from west side story. "Theres a place for us. Somewhere a place for us"...it brought me a moment of reflection. Strange I know.- Anyway this kind of thing happens to me all the time. Sometimes its not even church songs that pop into my head, but the song usually brings me peace or enlightenment of some kind. Just touching my soul in some way.
So, in light of this I wanted to share a little moment I had last night. I was laying in my bed thinking about what would happen to my children if I died. Who would take care of them, what would they remember about me, what would my funeral be like?- Have I declared any of my thoughts and wishes about these matters?
So...Im finally going to put my living will together. Get things organized.
Hopefully, Im not having these thoughts because of impending or looming events. It just got me thinking. One thing that I wasnt sure that I had ever mentioned to my husband was the songs I wanted played at my funeral. They are mainly songs that have significance to my life. Ya know, stuff the hymn angels play over and over again at the right moments.
So, with that said I created a montage of songs in my player to share some info about them. (Please excuse the major cheesiness of this post, but when I am gone someday, know I will haunt you if my wishes are not met!)

1) The impossible dream- I want this song played or sung at my funeral. Its always been one of my favorites. I once heard it played on a cello, no words were being sung, but I knew every line. It pierced my very core to hear them internally.
You can all dress up in costumes from the play ( Man of La Mancha) if you want. I wont mind. :)
2) Out of Africa- My mom played my the soundtrack to this movie on tape every night as a little girl. The opposite side of the tape had the Man from Snowy River soundtrack. I loved the tape. I still feel the security and love of a family when I hear this song. It brought me such comfort to hear it snug in bed with my family safe in our house. It should also be played at my funeral.
It wasnt until my adult years that I saw the movie. Ahem...(clearing my throat). Good thing. Its a passionate movie to say the least. Two words Robert Redford!

3) Romeo and Juliet- My mother played this on the piano all the time growing up. It still reminds me of her. Love you, momma!
4)Pride and Prejudice- My favorite movie and book. This song takes me away.
5)Some Enchanted Evening- South Pacific is my favorite musical. Its a classic that always makes me cry, laugh and love a little bit more. This was the song Mike and I danced to on our wedding day. It will always evoke beautiful memories of that day, and the day we saw each other from across the room. Engaged 3 weeks later. Married less than 4 months after our first date. Still happy 8 years later.- "Once you have found him, never let him go!"
6)Baby Mine- I listened to this and cried for the first week after the twins were born. Im not sure why I subjected myself to the pain of it. Especially when I left the hospital without any babies. I wasnt sure from day to day if either of them would survive. It was torture to hear it. But, I needed it for some reason. Looking back on it, I think I needed to know that even if the very worst happened "rest your head close to my heart, never to part, baby of mine".-It still brings tears to my eyes to hear it. I cant separate this song from Zach and Tanner.
7)This could be Heaven- Again, this song will forever be associated with Ashers birth. I turned this song on when I brought him home for the first time. I laid there and listened to it on my ipod and just stared at him. Thinking "I am the mother of three boys. I wasnt supposed to ever have any kids. I actually have a family. And this surprise baby is AMAZING!". It really was heaven. Still is.

Have you heard any hymn angels?-Im sure you have. Im a little crazy about music and its influences. But, its how I make connections I guess. :)

1 comment:

Dave Cook said...

Eden, what a beautiful thought, that these songs can be a source of inspiration or reflection. I always have some sort of song in my head, in fact my Mom said that was the biggest thing she noticed when I left on my mission. She knew I wasn't around because of the lack of singing or whistling.

I've posted about this before on my blog, I called them headTunes, but mostly I've mentioned songs that pop in my head when I'm out biking, skiing, hiking, etc. A random song that I probably haven't heard in years will just pop in my head, but it fits perfect with the mood and feeling of that moment.

I'll have to pay closer attention to my "Hymn" Angels and see if they're trying to tell me something.