Saturday, April 19, 2008

My Grandma


Today is the funeral for my sweet Grandma, who passed away last Wednesday.

I had the special privilege of living with my grandmother my senior year of high school. I will never forget the first day I lived in her home , when she told me "I dont want to be your warden, I only want to be your friend". I knew my grandmother loved me. She had a special way of always including me and making sure that I knew she loved me. My grandma made the best toasted tomato sandwiches, straight from the garden. She also made Corned Beef and carrots that would make any true Irish-man jealous. She was a fantastic and creative story writer and teller. I am indebted to her for the gift of her autobiography that she finished, just before her stroke. I treasure it and am excited about getting to share her legacy with my little ones. I loved her dearly, and will be overjoyed to be reunited with her in heaven someday. Love you grandma.


Deseret News Obiturary read:
Leah Call Chamberlain Farmington, Utah Leah Call Chamberlain, 86, passed away Tuesday, April 15, 2008 at her home in Farmington, Utah.She was born December 5, 1921 in Bountiful, Utah the daughter of Willard and Leah Pratt Call. Married Alvin S. Chamberlain June 5, 1948 in the Laie Hawaii Temple. Leah was raised in Bountiful and graduated from Davis High School. She was an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and was a Golden Gleaner. She served as a Relief Society President and counselor and many other callings. She served two full time missions; Billings, Montana on the Rocky Boy Indian Reservation and Washington D. C. Temple. She also served with the South Davis young people's temple group and as an ordinance worker in the Ogden and Bountiful Temples. Leah's family was the most important thing in her life. She loved to be involved in the lives of her husband, children and grandchildren. She was an avid short story writer and published author. She loved to keep her audience spellbound with her humorous, dramatic, and spiritual stories. Leah was best known for giving loving services to those in need of a meal, a clean house, a kind word or a spiritual uplift. This service was given because of her love for and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. She is survived by her husband, Alvin, sons, Allen (Julee) Chamberlain, Rockledge, FL; Dale (Marilyn) Chamberlain, Nazareth, PA; David (Robyn) Chamberlain, Eagle, ID; daughters, Joy (Scott) Holbrook, Heber City; Rebecca (Steve) Holmes, Tempe, AZ; Carol (Mark) Romberger, St. George; 34 grandchildren; 26 great-grandchildren; and sister, Beth Dixon. Preceded in death by her parents, two daughters, Carrie and Leah and her 22 brothers and sisters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am Thoms Tidwell. I knew Leah and Al as my mother's (leah mae call) Aunt & Uncle. I stay with them in 1978 for a short while.
I saw them between 1980-1984 I went to David mission farewell
and not since. I was wondering how they were doing. Now I know about her.
I am anxious to get caught up, if any one would contact me I would love it.
Thomas Tidwell
ttidwell@gt.rr.com