Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Baby ASHER is here








Our newest addition has arrived. His name is ASHER PRATT BANZHAF. He was born on Monday, April 21st at 4:26 pm at Harrisburg, PA hospital. He was 7lbs 2 oz and 19.5 inches long. He has lots of sandy blonde hair and its CURLY! I have no idea where the curls came from but, it makes the cutest little natural mohawk when combed together. Asher means HAPPY or BLESSED . Pratt is the last name of my (6 gen) great-grandfather Parley P. Pratt. A man whom I have wanted to meet my whole life, who's influence has been felt for generations in my family and the church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints members.
Now for the crazy story...
Monday morning about 4 am I started having some pain. Nothing regular or consistent. It nearly stopped all together by about 9 am and I just thought it was false labor. By noonish, it had started up again and I decided to lay down for a nap with the twins to wait for Mike to come home. Again, nothing major and nothing consistent. I had my 39 wk dr's appt at 4:30 so I figured I would just wait and go and see my OB at 4:30 pm. By 3 o'clock, I woke up with contractions that started coming fast and consistent and went from 8-3 min apart in 30 min. I could no longer walk and speaking was gone, other than wincing from pain. Mike loaded the kids and myself into the van. About 1 mile down the road, heading for the hospital, I could no longer sit in my chair and went to the back of the van to lay down. Much to my dismay, the roofing project that Mike had started on Saturday had not be cleaned up and the back seat had been removed. In its place were 2x4's and a box of shingles and nails. I lay ed right on the construction material, just to have my water break a few minutes later. So, here I am pulling into the ER drive way and being pulled out of the back of a construction litered mini-van by the EMT'S...NICE!
Since we thought we had time to get me set up with an epidural and labor some more, Mike took the kids back the 20 min drive to Hershey to drop them off at a friends house. The EMT took me into L&D. I put on a gown, laid on the bed, pushed the nurses button and said "Can someone come in here, I need to push". A dr I had never seen or met, came in looked at me and I said through a contraction "I need medicine"...she said, "NOPE, the baby is right here, just push".
I was checked into L&D at 4:01 pm and had the baby at 4:26pm.
I am seriously lucky I didn't deliver in the van on the way there!
Meanwhile, Mike who had no idea what was going on had just parked the van at the hospital when I called his cell phone. I said" Where are you" he said "just parked the car, where are you?". " I'm in room 9" Mike says " So, what are they telling you?"....I say "Just come up here, I will tell you". In walks Mike, he sees a baby in my arms...he looks around the room confused (he said he was looking for the babies real mother, like I was trying to play a joke on him) and he says "NO WAY!!! ARE YOU KIDDING?! I MISSED IT!? OH MY GOSH, I MISSED IT!!!"
Poor Mikey...Asher was already here and bundled in my arms. The nurses tell me it was one for the record books.
The next morning, a nurse came into my room. As we were talking, she hears that my husband missed the birth of the baby. She said "OH, your the girl that came in, laid down, and had a baby"..."Yup, that's me".
We love him!! Asher is such a cutie! We will keep you posted on updates! Here are some pics

No comments: