Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Place to call HOME


The kids and I are still here in American Fork. Mike is living in Phoenix with my brother Taylor. The house hunting is going forward, but I am disappointed to report that we do not have a home yet.
Every time I mention to someone that we are moving to Phoenix, I get the same response.
"Well, now is a great time to buy, there are some good deals down there". I bite my tongue. I have started to cringe inside every time I hear this. My nails claw into my thighs rather than offend the other person, who clearly has been informed of the same rhetoric as myself.
Here are the facts. Deal are great in Arizona...if you have lots of time to patiently wait around.
There are tons of foreclosed properties. Many of which have not been maintained in many months/years. Most have major repairs, and damage to fix. All have an AS-IS status. Here is a perfect example of a home we thought looked like a possibility:
Great home at one time, good school district, great curb appeal, but it has no cabinet doors, lighting fixtures,appliances, door knobs, or garage door motor. The pool has not been maintained, is drained and may have a problem with the pump once its filled (which you wont know until you fill it).The grass and brush are overgrown and the built in BBQ is missing from its bar.
YIPPEE! (I say this seething with sarcasm)
Short sales are in abundance, and can be great if you have 4-6 mths to wait. Most people make many offers hoping to have at least 1 approved.

I know I shouldn't be complaining. Im just feeling defeated right now. Patience isnt something I'm great at yet. I despise the thought of renting an apartment for months waiting on what might not be.Not to mention the boys starting kindergarten and living with neighbors above and below me, while I wrangle three boys. CPS may start getting called on me with all the noise they would undoubtedly hear.
Mike has already looked at homes and isnt that impressed. Im flying out next weekend to join him in the hunt. We'll see what happens. Wish us luck!

In the meantime,Z&T are loving the neighborhood life. They didnt have the opportunity to have lots of kids in a neighborhood situation in our townhouse in PA. They walk and play in the cul-de-sac all day and evening. They have met many new friends and they are learning new lessons in friendships and teamwork. They start swimming lessons Monday. They are both really excited to learn to swim better. Im excited to have someone teach them how to float. We are definitely going to have to drown proof them once we get to AZ. Have you ever heard of that? Apparently you can teach kids of any age (even Asher) to stay afloat if they fall into a pool. This will come in handy in AZ.
More to come.

4 comments:

Kellie Jean said...

Eden...I am so sorry that you are so frustrated. I really truly KNOW how you feel! We settled on a bit of a smaller home in a nicer neighborhood. We didn't really want to go all the way to Rio Rancho, in which case we could have had a steal of a deal! BUT I we are still in a little bit of limbo on our home too. We close on the 23rd and then I can breath easy again! I might really take you up on the whole staying in Phoenix when I make a trek to California! Good luck! Just think...for the time being you can go to cafe rio every day...wait you will have one in Phoenix too!

Good Luck! I am trying to look into teaching out here I might give you a call sometime with questions. Is your # still the same?

Chris and Suzette said...

My sisters and several friends have put their kids into the "survival swimming courses" and they are AMAZING . . . and EXPENSIVE.

Holbrook's said...

I know exactly what you mean...we have been having a similar experience here trying to buy a house. More than frustrating. I wish you luck!!

Amber said...

Good luck! I hope you guys are able to find something!