Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I pee-a on IKEA

*This post is my own oppinion, and isnt targeting or judging anyone who shops at this place. Just my observations*
Went to Ikea this week. Everyone in Utah hyped it up and I felt a little silly for having never been to the "Mecca".
I seriously thought I had stepped into an Austin Powers movie when I got upstairs.
I walked around this huge showroom to see crazy ugly furniture and weird design. Really, this is what everyone talks about???
The bedroom displays were like visiting the Jetsons home, minus the robot maid, Rosie. All the cabinets and storage spaces were so small you couldn't really get anything stored in them unless you wanted to put 1 item in each of the 40 cubbies. I mean seriously, who's kidding who? Would you really want to buy a couch that looks like 1.5 people could fit on it? Or an in home wicker swing to hang in your family room? YUCK, YUCK, YUCK. The whole store just rubbed me wrong. I couldnt handle it.

I'll level with you. I think its a great place for people who are in college. Just starting out who need a desk to study on or a cheap chair for their space. Or maybe its a good place for the occasional lamp or accessory. As for the rest of the products...send them back to whence they came. Norway must house lots of smurfs or 70's paraphernalia enthusiasts. I was unimpressed.

The free babysitting was nice. Next time, maybe I'll drop the kids off for an hour and I'll leave the store. They loved IKEA.

2 comments:

Kellie Jean said...

I love your rant! I agree, although I like Ikea, its just for the occasional accessory or decor that you want cheap and intend on using for a "phase" in your decorating interests....I hear the food is great, I've never had it. and I didn't know about the free childcare. Just take a magazine and make yourself at home for an hour!

Nate and Jen Poulson said...

Oh how I miss you! Yes, I personally go there for their babysitting and great food in the cafeteria! You'll like that. But Other than odds and ends, not my fav to shop at, hence my ENTIRE house is PB, but that wasn't all by choice either!
Miss you, and hope you guys get everything figured out soon. Or maybe you can move to TX:)
Loves!