Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Potpourri of randomness by Eden


Wow, its been a while since I posted last. Things have been busy. I cant believe our summer is almost over. BOO HOO! Its been a nice, relatively cool summer here in the east. Only in the past few days have been had awful humidity and heat.

Maybe I just never noticed it before, but Halloween seems to be on display earlier and earlier. About a month ago, Zach and Tanner saw skeletons that we had to buy for our house to "scare all the little kids". Close to 3 weeks ago, Zach started talking about being Harry Potter for Halloween. He loves anything creepy, and has enjoyed watching the Harry Potter movies (we have only let him watch the first 2, because of the wear wolves and things in the next few. They may be a little much still!).He wants me to throw a "Potter Party" that he saw on Discovery Kids. Tanner wants to be a scary pirate and say "AARRR to the door people". So I guess my planning is done?
Why cant my twins let me dress them up as a theme while they are still little. Having twins has to have some perks right? Guess they are already too old for mom to pick their costumes?!
Even our local Carters store, already has their cute little baby costumes hanging in the window. WHAT?- Isnt it August? So confused. Do they want me to take down my American Flags and Fourth of July decor, only to replace it will jack-o-lanterns and cobwebs in August? Weird?

So speaking of the twins, Zach and Tanner have been in a library phase all summer. I wont complain, actually; truth be told, I started the craze. The love to read books. We go weekly. Usually we haul home 16 books a week. I always have to have the librarians print us a list of the books, so I dont lose them. Its kind of a pain, but they love it. Every night we read a few.
I decided that I should go to the book store and buy some that we want to keep. While I was there, I found the cutest book. Its called GOODNIGHT GOON. Its a parody of Goodnight Moon. Zach loves anything scary or creepy. He loves this book. I also picked up the classic, Bernstein Bears Spooky Old Tree. They are obsessed with these books. Tanner saw something on Between the Lions about a book called "STOP THAT PICKLE", so I grabbed that one too. Its darling and we love reading it. I highly recommend these books for this age.
I also hit the local library book sale and WOW did I hit the jackpot there. I spent 13 dollars and came home with 10 books. Two of which were the big fat books the MORAL COMPASS and BOOK OF VIRTURES. These are great resource books. They have tons of great famous stories in them. I almost had to fight some lady for one of them, she claimed to have been looking for it all morning. I had the other, so I told her I wanted the set and I was buying them (I know, Im so rude!).

- I hope the boys will learn to love to read, as much as I do. Reading has opened my heart and mind to so many things.Reading is such an important part of internalizing messages and ideas. This is why the Lord asks us to Read his word. Not just hear it, or rely upon the word of others. We must read it, to truly internalize it, adapt it, ponder and understand it.

In my opinion, there is nothing more sad and more revealing than hearing a person say they dont like to read. I understand limits in ones time, or accessibility to good books. Those are some reasons to not do it. But when those arent issues, why dont people enjoy it??
Is it that taxing on your brain? Did you pick a book that is simply not enjoyable?-
then change books! You can not like a particular book, and still like to read. You should still like to read SOMETHING!!!
With technology, video games, DVD's ,etc. Reading is no longer fashionable. Sad...because so much of mans greatest literary works, can never fully be internalized, valued or portrayed fully in a 3 hour movie or television show. Hopefully, my boys will learn this early and enjoy books. Enough of my soapbox now.

3 comments:

Whidget said...

I love the new photos on the right side with the boys' names on them!! Also, you can get a lot of kids books at garage sales. My mom has hundreds of kids and preteen books she got for less than $100 in total because she got them all used. Just a thought. I am a big fan of buying books. Then I share them out all over.

:-)

Bridget

Hannah and Mike said...

Amen about reading, I'm always shocked when I hear people who I thought were intelligent say they never read, its amazing how quick my opinion of them changes. I will have to look for your book suggestions. Dennison also loves the spooky old tree at one point he had the whole thing memorized.

Cole Chamberlain said...

For all you judgmental bookworms, I don’t enjoy reading!!! All my life people like you gave me crap and forced me to read “wonderful books” just because what they were missing in life they could find in a book, love, money, power, etc… Now that I got that out let me step back and rephrase, the only reading that I enjoy is technical, engineering, and innovative materials. I don’t get warm fuzzies from living my life through a book but by gaining knowledge and applying that knowledge to make life more meaningful. Imagination is necessary but when did spending your time in an imaginary novel become the factor for inteligence?

Your smart-mouthed brother,
Cole