Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Chamberlain Family Reunion 2009

We had a blast at our family reunion this past week. We spent a week in Duck, North Carolina (the Outer Banks) in a beach house. Eight of the ten siblings were able to attend. Its the first time in years we have all been together in one place.
Madison got stuck in soccer practices for the week and couldnt get there. Noah, is still on his mission in Japan. We were definately missing them. We did have a KIWI from New Zeland join us (Hayden, Lincoln's college friend who had to vacate the dorms during ED Week). It was fun to hear a cool accent amongst the daily babbling. But, please never wear your "Mankini" again. (I kid, I kid).

We had so much fun. No accidents, no food poisoning, no fights. Hurricane Bill didnt make landfall on our beach, as was first assumed. The last two days of our trip brought in some clouds, wind and 8-15 ft swells. Of course all the surfers in my family were so excited. Even when the beach patrol was making everyone get out of the water, they passed by my brothers. They parked their four-wheelers, watched them for a few minutes catching waves, and then decided that they knew what they were doing and wouldnt drown. It made for fun wave watching, but the rip tide was pulling kids away, so we didnt do much swimming in the ocean those last 2 days.
The nice thing about the hurricane was that our kite was a huge hit on the shore. You will see pictures at the end of my montage of everyone looking to the sky...they are watching the kids fly the dragon kite.
Also in the montage is some video footage. Let me preface the film by saying, I caught nothing good on tape. All the great surfing, body surfing, bungee boarding and skim boarding happened off camera. I was in the wrong places at the right time. Taylor and Cole brought some of their new boards to try. They started a company shaping boards, and brought some prototypes. They also brought their bungee boarding device that they made. You can see how it works the vid, but I didnt catch it when they got it placed in the right spot. They got some great air!!!

That is what happens when you are a mom. You miss things. Comes with the job. Your never really on vacation. Just doing your duties in a different location. So, yes...I missed a few things.

I truly love the dune shores of the Kitty Hawk/Nags Head/Duck area. Totally different than where I grew up in Florida, and completely different than the west coast and its cold water. The water is so warm there.
Nights were divine, filled with family games and conversation. There is never a lull in chatter in my family. I especially enjoyed watching them play crab chicken one night. Where everyone puts their feet into a circle shape and then they drop a live crab in the middle. They wait to see which way the crab will run, and who will freak, scream and move their foot before it claws them...DREW!!!! :)

The days were filled with great memories, green hair from the pool, and lots of loving on my kiddos from the aunts and uncles. My heart is filled with gratitude for each person and their contribution to my life and happiness. Thanks to all my siblings and their families. We miss you and love you.
EXPELLIAMAS to you all!


2 comments:

Hannah and Mike said...

I was so envious when my mom said that you had all gotten together in NC. I love it there. I told my mom, that is what we need to do when we get together. Sounds like so much fun. And ditto on the mom thing, its funny because none of my sibs have kids, they don't quite get it yet, someday they will understand though.

Hannah and Mike said...

Also, just have to tell you you looked great in those pictures Eden.